Arjun’s ten Names
Arjun’s (One of the 5 greatest warriors of The Mahabharat) ten names:
One Arjun was asked why he is known with 10 names, so he replied:
“My ten names are – Arjun, Phaalgun, Jishnu, Keeriti, Shwetvaahan, Vibhatsu, Vijaya, Paarth, Savyashachee and Dhananjaya.
- Arjun – My complexion is unique like Arjun tree, and my name is stainless, that is why I am named as Arjun.
- Phaalgun – I was born on the slopes of Himvaan in a place called Satsring on a day when the star Uttaraa Phaalgunee was in ascent, that is why my name is Phaalgun.
- Jishnu – I am called Jishnu because I am terrible when I am angry.
- Keeriti – My father Indra gave me a beautiful crown when I was with Him, that is why I am called Keeriti.
- Shwetvaahan – My horses which were given to me by Agni Dev are white, that is why I am called Shwetvaahan too.
- Vibhatsu – I have never fought by unfair means in any battle that is why I am called Vibhatsu.
- Vijaya – I always fight till end and I always win, that is why I am called Vijaya.
- Paarth – My mother’s original name is Prithaa, so I am also called Paarth.
- Savyashachee – I never frighten my enemies by meanness, I can shoot with my both hands, thats why I am called Savyashachee.
- Dhananjaya – I was called Dhanajaya when I conquered all the kings at the time of Raajsooya Yagya and collected wealth from all of them.