100+ FREE iPhone Applications you gotta have on your iPhone/iPod Touch
Image via CrunchBase
What I am trying today is to provide you a list of over 100 iPhone applications which you definitely need to have on your iPhone. Or at least you can choose what is best for you.
Let me tell you that upfront that there are some apps which you can get only on a jailbroken iPhone because they are not available through Apple iTunes Store. These apps are available only through Cydia.
Below you will find the the applications categorized based on what they are useful for and their functionality along with a jist of similar applications: (All App links open in iTunes)
(Feel free to share this article with your friends and let them know the best of the best. Please share this article on Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Digg and other social networks if you enjoyed it.)
Social Networking Based Applications:
- Facebook: A MUST have application for all Facebook fans. Almost everything you can do via web you can do from your iPhone.
Twitter Based Applications: (Choose one)
- Nambu: Nambu is a better application for all Twitter lovers because it lets you manage Twitter, Frienfeed, Ping.fm, Tr.im and Pic.im networks from a single app. So you don’t have to install various apps for these services.
- TwitterFon: One of my favorite app for Twitter.
SMS, Messaging and VOIP Based Applications:
- Yahoo! Messenger: I seriously don’t understand why Yahoo! can’t combine its various iPhone applications into one. But for those looking for just IM and other similar features, then this is the app to install.
- Skype: A hottest iPhone app for anyone looking for FREE local and long distance calls. It also supports chat and IM on 3G & EDGE networks.
- Textfree Lite
Video Capture Applications: (Choose one)
- Qik (Available through Cydia) – Read complete review of these apps here on my previous post about ‘5+ Broadcasting/ Video Capture & Live Streaming Apps for iPhone’
- UStream Broadcaster (Available through Cydia)
- Flixwagon (Available through Cydia)
- Cycorder (Available through Cydia)
- Kyte Producer
Video Clips, Movie Trailers, TV Serials and other video Applications:
- Joost: Check out hot music videos and other clips through this iPhone app.
- Howcast: Check out ‘How to do Anything’ on the GO with this app. Wanna know how to flirt, how to open a bottle of wine or anything else. This is the app to check out.
- Cooliris: If you have tried Cooliris with Firefox, then this is the same thing for iPhone too. A BIIIIIIIIG wall of photos and videos to browse through.
- UStream.tv: Watch live shows being broadcast on Ustream.tv online or check out the previous recordings on your iPhone with this app.
- Flixster: One of the best app for any kind of movie reviews and ratings. You can rate the movies you have watched and post it on Facebook. Similarly check out what your friends are upto, what are they watching. Should you be wasting money on the movie you were thinking, read reviews first before wasting your money.
Music, Radio and Entertainment Based Applications:
- Pandora Radio: Just search for an artist and create your own Radio station. Pandora will keep playing songs for FREE matching with your artist genre. A MUST Have for music lovers.
- Last.fm: Access your Last.fm directly from your iPhone. Listen to new songs by the ‘Recommended by Last.fm’ feature.
- AOL Radio
- SHOUTcast Radio
- Remote: If you want to control your iTunes library from your iPhone, the use this cool app from Apple.
Photo Sharing & Image Editing Applications:
- Pixelpipe: Upload photos to any web service. Read the complete review of Pixelpipe here.
- Photon: Upload images to Photon.
- Nikon my PictureTown: Upload photos to Nikon Picture Town service providing you with 2GB online space for your photos.
- Shutterfly: Upload to Shutterfly.
- eZimba: With eZimba, you can give cool effects to your photos. Image editing has came to iPhone with eZimba.
Games: (Choose as many you wish)
- Cube Runner
- Falling Balls
- Live Poker
- 3D Bricks Free
- Solitaire Free
- Dots Free
- Deal or No Deal Free
Books, Reference and Education Based Applications:
- iStanford: Access Stanford university lectures, courses FREE on your iPhone with this app.
- Blackjack BetChart: For Blackjack learners, this is the bet chart which tell you what to do when in Blackjack.
News & Weather Related Applications:
- USA Today: One of my favourite app for news. News sharing was never easier before USA Today. I can share news with my Twitter and Facebook friends right from my iPhone.
- New York Times: Unfortunately, this app never worked perfectly on my iPhone. Everytime I run this app, it crashes. Takes forever to update news. It is still in the list because I like to read the news on NewYork Times.
- Wall Street Journal (WSJ)
- AP Mobile News
- BBC Reader
- The Weather Channel (TWC)
Finance and Shopping Related Applications:
- Bloomberg: Keep track of all your stocks and remain up to date with market news and its ups and downs.
- AOL Daily Finance: Similar to Bloomber but a little better.
- Balance: You will love this app when it keeps track of your cash flow so easily, you won’t even know. No need to update details in your passbook if you use this app.
- Mint: Check out my recent review about various FREE Financial services.
- m.Strands: Check out my recent review about various FREE Financial services.
- Chase Mobile: Access your Chase account details everywhere and anywhere.
- CitiBank Mobile: Access your CitiBank account details everywhere and anywhere.
- ATM Hunter: Find the nearest ATM location based on your GPS location or by the zip code.
- Paypal: Access your Paypal account or send money right from your iPhone.
- eBay: Always be ready to bid for the items you are watching on eBay. Check out what is current status of your buying/selling items.
- SnapTell: Before buying any Book, CD or DVD, just use this app to scan the cover and wait for a moment. Snaptell will tell you the price online from various merchants. Helps you decide if you wanna buy in store or order online. Cool shopping trick. Hopefully it supports other products soon.
- VIP Access: Be VIP secure with this App from Verisign. This app adds extra layer of security to access any web site using Verisign Seal. Just create your credentials and whenever you see Verisign seal on any web site your are going to login, run this app. Read instructions online.
- FedEx Mobile: Track all your FedEx shipments.
- TMS-Lite: Read a complete review of TrackMyShipments.com here.
Travel and Location Based Applications:
- Google Earth
- Yelp: Read and write reviews of the places you have been to or you wanna go. (Bar, Restaurants, Shopping Mall etc etc.) Know what others are saying.
- Urbanspoon: Can’t decide where you wanna go for dinner. Run Urbanspoon and just shake it. You can even lock some parameters to find the place of your interest.
- TipStar: Quickly calculate how much tip you need to pay and what will be your share.
- AroundMe: Find out cool places around you.
- Kayak: Search travel deals right from your iPhone.
- Taxi: Need a taxi, run this app and find out the service providers in your location.
- Trapster: Find out where cops are waiting and drive carefully in that area. Trapster keeps you alerted when you reach in proximity of cope prone areas.
Email, Calendar, ToDo, Notes and Blogging Based Applications:
- Google Mobile App: Do everything with this app. Access Gmail, Docs, Google Talk, Blogger, almost all Google services from this app on your iPhone.
- reQall: Just speak what you want to do. reQall converts your speech into tasks and puts it on a Todo calendar for you.
- NetNewsWire: Read all the blogs you love from your iPhone. Sync it with your Newsgator account.
- WordPress: Write a blog post on the Go with this wordpress application.
- Toodledo: Though it is not FREE, yet it is in this list. Because it is a MUST have for those want to sync their ToDo list with iPhone Calendar. Check out this post for complete details and a review of this service.
- Headspace: Mind mapping app on your iPhone provided by FREEMIND. You can’t believe how cool this app is.
- Cisco Webex Meeting Center: Attend all WebEx meetings from your iPhone itself.
- SnapDat: Create your Business Visiting Cards with this app.
- PandoraBox: Tired of searching for apps in iTunes Store. PandoraBox lets you know which app was recently released and which is available for free now or reduced price.
- Quick Voice Recorder
- a2z Unit Converter: Convert any unit to any unit in the world with this free app.
- Lose it!: Keep track of your health. How much weight you wanna lose. Make a goal and start loosing weight with this app.
- ScreenSplitr: If you wanna watch iPhone videos on your TV, then you will need to install it through Cydia.
- Backgrounds: An app for downloading cool wallpapers for your iPhone.
Hmmmm….(Removing sweat from my head) – Total 105 FREE iPhone applications for you to try and use on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Please be aware some applications might not work on iPod Touch. To install any video capture application, you need to jailbreak your iPhone.
Some people I talked argue that if you install these many applications on your iPhone, it will become slow or may be stop working. Rest assured, my friend, I have around 8 pages of applications already installed on my iPhone and is working without any problems.
So even if you install all 105 applications on your iPhone, you won’t run into any problems. Check out the above video capture showing you all the page filled with these applications on my iPhone.